Find Journeys of The Zoo on Google+ Journeys of The Zoo: All the Things that I Swore I Would Do as a Parent.

                                                                  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 21, 2013

All the Things that I Swore I Would Do as a Parent.

Baby Bottle and Soother Before I became a Mother, I had a long list of things that I swore I would never do when I became a Parent.

You know, no soothers, no night time bottles, no noisy toys, no television.

I thought about writing a post about it but you've heard it all before.

Besides, I've done everything I swore I wouldn't.
Photo taken by SQUAIO

So, I thought that I would put a new spin on an old classic and write about "All the Things that I Swore I Would Do as a Parent".

And so ends this post.

Seriously though, I never really thought about it. I was so focused on all the things I wanted to avoid that I didn't focus on the positives.

If I had made a list, I would have put the following on it...

Say Yes More. Ice cream for breakfast never hurt anyone. Just look at my kids.

Embrace Failure. Your kids will not be the best at everything and that's okay. Failure is not a bad word. It makes people question what is important. Disappointment is a reality. Prepare them for the real world.

Ignore the Mompetitors. Everyone loses. Especially the kids.

Admit you make Mistakes. Apologize and move on. You'll have an opportunity to make a different choice next time.

Learn from your Parents. Did I just write that? Well, they didn't do that bad a job. If I do say so myself.

Enjoy the Moment. You can't have yesterday back but you can get the most out of today. Life is short and kids grow up really quickly.

What Would be on Your List?

Share this with your Friends.

Journeys of The Zoo  Besos, The Zoo

10 comments:

  1. Cuddle more and be more present - before long each phase passes and never returns. I'm trying harder this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Play with them. Not just catch or let's do this project together, get down on the floor and play barbie, pretend to be a dog with them. Lets loose and act like a kid again, even if its just for 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! I would definitely put 'listen to your instinct' and 'don't compare yourself to others' at the top of mine. I don't think anyone can prepare you for how much you will change when you're a mum though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I have a long list of things that I've done that I swore I never would. Oh well, the kid seems ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! Say yes more is a great one, and learning from your parents, so important. I would include learning to be okay with not getting everything done. Truth be told if I were to try and finish everything that I'm "supposed" to do in a day, I would never sleep. I've had to learn to be okay with being messy, and having toys all over the place.

    I would also agree with Emma, and say listen to your instinct. I always kick myself saying, I should have listened to my gut. It's something I have to remind myself constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the state of the house is not really important in the grand scheme of things. I'll have a clean house when the kids are grown...if I want one. ;)

      Delete
  6. Ahhh yes, I agree. Ice cream for breakfast?! My husband used to put ice cream in his morning coffee. I could gag.

    I love your list. I think I would put: have a sense of humor, take care of yourself, and forgive yourself for your own mistakes on my list.

    Wishing you and your loved ones a wonderful weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your list one hundred per cent. I live by the philosophy of choose your battles and if that means the occasional ice cream for breakfast, that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great points! I love going camping with my kids in the summer. I do say no at home a lot, but when we're camping that is the time they can have an ice cream cone, a bag of chips and smores for breakfast! I did learn so much from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your list here is absolutely PERFECT!!! I like the idea of not trying to compete with other moms---everyone parents differently according to the needs of their individual child. You will be a far happier parent if you don't compare yourself or your children to other families.

    ReplyDelete