Find Journeys of The Zoo on Google+ Journeys of The Zoo: In Alexander's Honour

                                                                  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, December 13, 2010

In Alexander's Honour

I wanted to post this on December 19th, the one year anniversary of Alexander's passing. However, we will be on our way to Mexico so here it is.

As many of you know, I have been struggling to decide what to do to honour Alexander's life. Many people; plant trees, release balloons, create plaques, raise money, etc... While all are great ideas, none of them seemed quite right for Alexander. I've decided that instead of one unique item or special event, once a year, Alexander is going to give life and happiness every day.

Here are a few of the things that we've done;

  1. I've started to donate blood. When Alexander was sick, he needed a blood transfusion. I would want other parents to have the gift that we/he got. I can’t imagine what would have happened if someone hadn’t selfishly given of themselves.
  2. I've registered with the Bone Marrow Donor Registry (http://www.onematch.ca/). The donation procedure has gotten a lot easier over the years and 85% of life saving donations is made via a blood donation. Perhaps I could save a life. I would want the same for my children.
  3. I have been in correspondence with a woman in Nelson, B.C. whose daughter is sick and she needs breast milk (http://healinganaya.blogspot.com/). Alexander's first meal was formula (my milk hadn't yet come in) and I always wonder what would have been if he'd had breast milk. If I'd asked one of the mothers in the NICU for some of theirs. NEC is higher (in preemies) that are formula fed. Currently, she has enough milk but when we get back from Mexico I hope to send her some.
  4. For the past year, on a monthly basis I have been dropping off clothes and other items to CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario). It feels good to know that children in need will benefit from our donations.

It's easy to remember all that I do have; two beautiful, happy and healthy children, a loving and supportive husband and my health. It's impossible to forget what I have lost; my dear Alexander.

I will continue to strive to do my best for me, my family and in Alexander's memory.

Journeys of The Zoo  Besos, The Zoo

3 comments:

  1. Those are all very good things. Julia got a blood transfusion the day she was born, and Gabrielle got one the day she was discharged, and we always say we are going to donate blood as well - especially me, since I now know I'm O+, the universal donor! But just haven't done it yet. I will be thinking of Alexander extra on the 19th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all very honorable ways to remember you son. I love the rememberance every month instead of yearly. The last time I donated blood I passed out and have been scared to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. You are doing amazing things in his honor.

    ReplyDelete